As a child, we used to play and laugh more often than we do as adults; we adults take life difficult and put things unnecessarily at heart. Doctors have discovered that people who have a positive outlook on life tend to combat diseases better than negatively minded people. This suggests that frequent laughter can increase the general wellbeing of an individual. For this reason, laughter is popularly referred to as the best medicine. So smile, laugh, and live longer!
It will astound you that the singular act of chuckling or giggling can profoundly benefit your health. Listed below are health benefits of laughter:
- Reliefs Stress: Have you been looking for the best way to calm your nerves after a stressful day? The solution is to laugh. Sounds funny right? Be it real or fake, laughter is known as the best therapy to ease off stress thereby relaxing the nerves. It reduces anxiety and stress by reducing the stress hormone levels.
- Lowers blood pressure: Hypertension (high blood pressure) is one of the most dangerous side effects of stress. It is common among adults and has been noted as a strong risk factor for stroke. As we have seen above that it is difficult to be stressed when laughing. Hence, the more we laugh; we successfully reduce our blood pressure.
- Makes People Around You At Ease: Have you ever laughed really hard because your friends were laughing? This has happened to me a number of times; laughter is contagious; by laughing, you get other people around you to laugh. Thereby easing the atmosphere we find ourselves.
- Works for your Abs: Surprising right? Laughing helps tone the abs; when you exercise your abs, the muscles in your abs simultaneously expands and contracts, this similar process occurs when you have a good laugh. For those in need of an hour-glass shape, you should add laughter to your regular abdominal routine and be wowed by the results.
- Healthy cardiac system: There are people incapable of exercising due to injury or illness; this category of people can laugh more often to improve their cardiac health. When laughing, your heart pumps and burns a similar amount of calorie per hour as working at a slow rate. So, laugh out a healthy heart.
- Relaxes the body: It has been discovered that hearty laughter relieves tension and leaves your muscles relaxed for about 45 minutes after. Laughter also calms other muscles that are not used in laughing during the process. So, when next you want to relax, just get a good laugh.
Enhances fresh breath: When laughing, you get to open your mouth thus exhaling residual air from your lungs which are then replaced by fresh air containing a higher level of oxygen. Thus, if you have been searching for ways to fight bad breath; laugh more often.
- Boost the immune system: T-cells are specialized immune system cells that help to fight antigens. When you laugh, the T-cells in the body are activated and fights sickness. Isn’t it amazing that when next you have a cold, you can shake it off by laughing?
- Natural Anti-depressant: laughter has a way of reducing depression and lightening the mood as well as improving sleep.
- Natural pain-killer: Chronic pain can be reduced by laughing. Endorphins are natural painkillers that are released into the bloodstream when laughing. Thus, making you feel good.
As we have been enlightened that frequent laughter is the key to a healthy life. Consequently, we have to look for ways to put back laughter in our daily diet. Suggested ways to increase laughter in our lives are:
- Watch comedy videos at your free time.
- Ensure you read the comic section of your newspaper.
- Force yourself to laugh at a joke no matter how dry the joke may be.
- Spend time with children, pets and loved ones.
- Try out laughter Yoga.
- Join a social club.
- Tame your anger and forgive more easily.
- Do something really silly you might have done as a kid
- Ultimately, do what makes you happy. It could be dancing, seeing a movie, shopping especially for ladies, playing games, watching football, etc. Remember, life is too short, so grab a good laugh while you can.